Remember the old saying “there’s no such thing as a free lunch?” It’s still true, but there are several ways to get a free fly rod. These offers may make sense if you are planning certain purchases in any case , nevertheless. Our goal as always: Get To Better Fishing™.
Is A Free Fly Rod The Best Fly Rod?
It’s pretty hard to argue with something that’s free. So if it’s really the “best fly fishing rod” you are looking for, be sure to read some of our other articles and reviews by others online. For this article, we’re going to assume that what comes as free can’t be argued with, might as well go with the flow – not to mention these are quality rods in of themselves!
#1 – Join Trout Unlimited As A Lifetime Member
Joining Trout Unlimited doesn’t only help protect our streams, there’s a literal boatload of benefits for you. These include a variety of travel discounts, gear discounts, subscription to TU’s excellent Trout magazine, and others. Even if you are already a member with an annual subscription, you can convert by signing up as a lifetime member. In return, once your membership is paid in full, TU will send you a 9′ 5-weight 4-piece Winston PURE Rod with a Cheeky Boost 350 Reel. This rod was named the “Best Freshwater Rod” at the 2018 International Fly Tackle Dealer show, worth over $1000 retail value. The great thing is there are several installment packages. If you’re going to support TU anyway through an annual subscription, why not spend the same money (you would over the long term) and get a free fly rod out of the deal? Works out pretty well, if you think about it. And, you can feel great about supporting an organization that gets a ton done to protect the streams that we love fishing. You can find more details and sign up at their Become A TU Life Member page.
#2 – Sign Up For A Trip With Reel Destination
Granted, destination trips, lodges and guides can add up. But if you are in the market for a trip anyway, why not get a free rod (or two) out of the deal? Reel Destinations is an information, reservation booking service, and also hosts fly tying sessions specific to your chosen destination. The Free Fly Rod Offer description is available on their website, ReelDestinationsFlyFishing.com. In summary:
- They provide several destination options, including Aniak River Lodge, Turneffe Flats, or Holbox Fly Fishing Lodge
- Upon full payment, you can choose a Temple Forks Outfitters Mangrove, BVK, or TiCR X fly rod (all 4 piece and your choice of line weight)
- They state the value of the rod is $330, and further if you convince 5 friends (in addition to yourself) they’ll throw in a second rod of equal value for you. (Hmmm…who gets the 2nd rod?)
Note: FlyFishingFieldGuides.com has not evaluated, and does not specifically endorse these trips. We just wanted you to be aware of the free fly rod (or two) offer! Be sure to do your research thoroughly before making a trip selection.
#3 – Use Rewards From The Best Credit Cards
As you can tell from the bombardment of credit card offers, the industry has gotten even more competitive lately. If your eyes glaze over when you receive yet another offer in the mail, in a pop-up window, or pitched by a flight attendant on your airline, you’re not alone. All that said, you can use credit in a smart way that not only builds your credit rating, it will also get you a new fly rod or other gear you may want free of charge. Here’s how:
- Review your existing cards benefits – many times they offer more than you may realize, or have been updated to include new programs. If your existing card doesn’t offer flexible enough benefits that allow you to purchase a fly rod, then…
- Choose a new card with a quality and flexible rewards program – that allows you to make your own purchases with the bonus dollars, or redeem them for cash. It’s important that you know how the cards work, so there aren’t any restrictions that keep you from purchasing outdoors gear. You can find comparisons of the best credit card rewards on many websites – almost too many websites – here are several to consider:
- Use your card wisely to rack up points – for example, apply it to expenditures you’d make anyway, such as your utility bill and groceries. You can often set up automatic monthly payments drawn from your credit card instead of your checking account. By wisely, we mean pay it off EVERY month. That way, you accrue the rewards points without accruing interest – that’s how you get a free fly rod!
- Purchase your fly rod (or other gear) when you have enough points. All you need to do is monitor your points (sometimes you’ll need to click a little further into your account, as many times the rewards programs aren’t highlighted up front with your account information). A side note on this, many times the purchase or cash back rewards are discounted relative to travel (you may get 70 cents on the dollar for buying anything you want or cash back, whereas you get 100 cents on the dollar for buying travel). So, if you are taking a trip anyway, apply the rewards to the trip to stretch your rewards a little further. That said, if it’s a fly rod you want (and need of course!), then get the fly rod.
So there you have it, 3 ways to get a free fly rod. Each one does require an outlay or expenditure on your part. However, if you are planning on making the purchases anyway (a lifetime membership to TU, a lodge or guided trip, or wise use of your credit card), you can do it in a way that snags a free rod (or more – with reel or a 2nd rod) along the way!.
Feedback: have something to tell us about this article? We’d love to hear it – Contact Us.